Due to the work of Italy's Celiac Association, many cafes, hotels, and restaurants are trained in the issues of cross-contamination and the special food handling and preparation required for those who must avoid gluten at all costs.
Combine this with the country's cultural ethos around food, wine and La Dolce Vita, and you have just the right blend of ingredients to create a remarkable gluten-free journey.
A trip overview is below. Interest piqued? Request the complete and detailed itinerary.
- Stress-free travel knowing all meals will be safe, and it’s all been organized for you
- Hotels and restaurants trained in servicing the needs of celiac and gluten-free clientele
- High-quality 3-star superior and 4-star hotels located directly in the historic centers -- convenient during your free time -- no shuttling into town
- A list of thoroughly vetted GF restaurants for each of our destinations for those times you want to explore on your own, plus optional GF box lunches so you always have a safe meal with you
- Dedicated tour escorts (who are also GF) who’ll assist with every aspect of your trip—translating GF needs, reservations, transportation, plus local guides who are experts in their fields
- Small group size (limited to 23 guests)
- This trip can be customized for private groups or individual clients. Contact us for details.
Days 1 - 2 Meet this evening at our hotel in Florence’s historic center for a wine reception. Enjoy dinner at the hotel, the first of many top-rated, authentic and gluten-free meals that meet the approval of the AIC (Italian Celiac Association) * * * Our engaging, local tour guide leads us on a stroll through the city, introducing us to the art, architecture and history of the “Capital of the Renaissance.”
Day 3 Day trip to Parma, in the Emilia Romagna region * * * A fascinating tour takes us through the process of producing and aging balsamic vinegar * * * We’ll visit a local producer to learn about the special relationship between the region’s cheese, water, salt and air quality that together create the subtle flavor of prosciutto di Parma, the “King of Ham.”
Day 4 Travel to Tuscany by private luxury coach to tour two stunning, medieval hill towns and UNESCO World Heritage Sites–San Gimignano and Siena * * * In Siena, we feast on a remarkable GF Tuscan lunch with dishes based on recipes reconstructed from medieval cookbooks * * * Our local guide takes us through the charming back alleys and winding streets of this perfectly preserved town and explains the history and symbolism behind the Palio, Siena’s famous horse race * * * After a little free time to shop or enjoy GF gelato, we transfer by coach to spend one night in our Tuscan countryside retreat and enjoy a relaxing dinner at our hotel.
Day 5 From Tuscany we make our way south by luxury motor coach visit Orvieto which sits high on a plateau overlooking vineyards and olive grows * * * After a morning of sightseeing, we refuel with an exquisite mid-day repast with a wide selection of GF options * * * This afternoon we reach our final destination, Rome.
Days 6 - 7 Ancient Rome awaits! Our expert tour guide meets us at the Colosseum for an in depth tour, followed by a stroll through the ruins of the Roman Forum and along the via Sacra—the ancient path victorious Roman Emperors followed on their return to Caput Mundi * * * A free afternoon in Rome (or optional Baroque Rome city tour) lets you immerse yourself in the capital *** Gather for a farewell dinner, and toast to our gluten-free journey through Italy’s heart and soul! Buon viaggio e buon appetito!
Request the detailed itinerary for more info on meet/depart times, transfer information, and more. *
* Note: Please do not finalize air or travel plans until both your participation and the tour is confirmed.